Tulbagh lies an easy 80 minutes' drive north of Cape Town, at the northen edge of the beautiful fertile Breede River Valley. It is surrounded on three sides by mountain ranges - the Obiqua Mountains to the west, the Winterhoek Mountains to the north and the Witzenberg to the east are often covered in snow during the winter months. The Great Winterhoek towers 2077m (6810ft) above sealevel and is a challenge to serious hikers during spring and autumn. The Valley was first discovered in 1658 by Pieter Potter, Surveyor General to Jan van Riebeeck, the first Governor of the Cape. Fourteen farmers settled here in 1700, but the town was only developed in 1943, when the first church was built. Tulbagh became well known after the big earthquake, on the 29th of September 1969, when most damaged buildings in the present Church Street, were restored to their original form - all were declared National Monuments. There are 32 of these buildings, constituting the largest concentration of National Monuments in one street in South Africa. The old Church, presently the museum as well as an annex to the newer museum, is the focal point of interest to many visitors. Some of South Africa's well known wine estates are also situated in the Tulbagh Valley Drostdyhof, Theuniskraal, Twee Jonge Gezellen and the Paddagang Wine Shop, cater for disconcerning wine lovers. Hiking and mountain biking routes, as well as horse riding, fishing and a range of sporting facilities are now available for the more adventurous.
Tel: +27(0)23 230 1348/75
Crystal Cave Tulbagh